Thursday 26 November 2015

I don’t remember planting this


I don’t remember planting this. One day when I looked, there it was. And I had no idea what it was, but it was beautiful, so I decided to investigate.

And another one here

It turned out to be Silky Thread Grass - Nassella (Stipa) tenuissima. Silky thread Grass brings gossamer grace to any spot where it's planted. It blooms from late spring into late summer with plumes of silky flowers that sway back and forth in the slightest breeze. Grows readily in most any soil with full to partial sun. Re-seeds itself readily.

Native to the Western US, it is supposed to be drought-tolerant, but as the hot summers wore on, and no matter how much I watered it, slowly over two or three seasons it died. Maybe I over-watered it....

Being non-indigenous to South Africa, it doesn't actually belong in my garden, but it is such a beautiful plant I could consider trying to find another one.

.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...